Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Posted by Ordinarily Quirky On 09:58
2015: Another Year Of Life Lessons


Firstly, I'd like to say that being AWOL from Ordinarily Quirky gave me time to really see the world and how it works. But like a thunder strike, I've come to realise writing for Ordinarily Quirky is something I really love and want to continue to do as an interest/hobby of mine, but not to the point it takes over my life.

 I can't wait to get back into it and what better way than by reflecting on this fab year. So read on to see what wisdom I've gained so far!

1. Blogging Isn't Everything. 
One thing I lost sight of when my blog was booming during the first half of 2015 was that blogging became an addiction. I was spending more time looking at screens and allowing opinions of others take control of what I did with my life and my writing. I've come to see that writing is something that shouldn't be done for views, for comments or for recognition. It's a way of reflecting personal growth and verbalising the world through an individual perspective. 


It shouldn't come at a cost of losing those around you, more so it should be to exert a healthy way of depicting life experiences and how others can learn from them. So now that I'm back, I feel I come back with a new sense of self and the knowledge that writing should be a fun escape, not a weapon to use against others.

2. Technology Break-Aways Are Amazing
By deleting everything on my social media dashboard, I felt such a wave of relief, not because being connected is a bad thing, but it consumed me and I neglected the ones I loved as a result. It also made me feel pretty bad about myself because I relied on notifications and likes as a way to judge my self worth which is no way to see yourself at all.


 So going cold turkey for a while was the best thing I could have done. 
The weirdest aspect was realising how much time I actually did have, and the scary part was not knowing what to do with it. I had relied so much on filling those extra 5-10 minutes with Facebook scrolling that when I left Facebook, it was a little daunting.

I came back to the connected world because eventually I realised that this is how people communicate with each other these days. Just because it's different to 50 years ago, doesn't mean it's wrong. Once you use social media to learn, teach, keep up with family/friends and share funny cat pictures, then there's no harm. Know that when you can't be without your phone for at least 24 hours and feel the urge to log onto your Facebook using someone else's, then you have a problem.


Escaping the connected world is so lovely, but I couldn't do it forever, barely 3 months in fact! I think by coming back, I don't see the point in updating my status so often or needing to be on it the entire time. Because if you leave Facebook, it's not like it'll disappear. Everything you would have seen if you were on it every minute will still be there if you forget it for a day. 

Life goes on in many other ways that do not include Facebook.

So try it. Just for one day. What's the worst that could happen?!

3. Being A People Pleaser Is So Bad For You


Being a people pleaser is laying yourself down as a doormat for others to take advantage, putting their happiness before your own. And it doesn't need to be a severe version of taking advantage as you might think. People pleasing is: 

1. Saying yes to something/someone when in your heart you wish you had the confidence to say no, just because you don't want to. 

2. It's laughing within a group who are being rude about someone you know doesn't deserve being talked about, but you don't want to be ridiculed by them next so you laugh regardless. 

3. It's allowing people you deem 'above' you or 'superior' to be nice to your face so you'll feel accepted by them, when really they never will, and you know this. 

But this is life. People merge with people with common interests and usually types of humour come into play here too, aka if you have one, your posse have one, if you and your posse don't have a sense of humour, well sure look, as long as you're happy together! But people also try and become something they're not, usually by combining with people who don't share the same values, beliefs or banter, which is where people pleasers are born.


I've learned that it's okay to say no to something/someone and it's even better to not give an excuse. We feel bad for saying no when really we shouldn't. Our priority should be our love of self, then others, because if we're not happy, how are we expected to make others happy in our company?

People pleasing takes away from our personal happiness, whether it be something big or small, it eats away a piece of you. Don't ever be afraid to say no if you don't want to do something, never part take in conversations that you feel are of no benefit to you and don't think that just because you are in a group of people that they are your friends. Some of the best enemies come with a double face mask.

4. Eating Healthy Really Makes You Feel Like A Stun Hun


When myself and the boyfriend took on a healthier lifestyle before Halloween, we felt amazing having salads for dinner and feeling full after it. I mean, you can actually feel fuller after a salad, whaaaaat! And I noticed when I'd gorge over the Christmas, I didn't feel as fab. I felt yuck to be honest. Fat. Sluggish. Ugh. I mean, at the start, the change back to a crappier diet was like heaven. But the extra sugar made me crash, I was sick throughout and I had no interest in doing anything other than consuming junk food and drink.

I can't wait to get back into eating healthier because when my body is buzzing, so am I. People are drawn to those who are genuinely happy inside and the best feeling is knowing you've just eaten something that will benefit your body and make you feel fine gurl!

Overall, 2015 was a great year. I've made it to 2016 with my parents, my Shan Fan, a great group of crazies and my Darry Warry so there's nothing more I need. 
Enjoy the last 2 pages of your 2015 book because whether they are amazing or awful, know that the next book is a new start to bigger and better things.

And it all starts with you.


Happy 2016 :)

  







Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment